Free Grade 6 memberships help kids gain independence
Every grade six student in Calgary is eligible to receive a free YMCA 13-month membership to the YMCA, thanks to the generous support of the Calgary Flames Foundation.
The program supports youth as they transition/age out of traditional child care models, develop new interests and prepare for junior high. It gives youth a safe place to practice independence, develop healthy habits, and establish a sense of belonging in a centre of community that promotes the values of respect, honesty, caring and responsibility.
Kids who are going into Grade 6 can sign up for their grade 6 membership today! The Calgary Flames YMCA Grade 6 Program registration opens August 1.
Program Information and Benefits
The Grade 6 Membership Program is a great way to for Grade 6 students to experience unplugged fun at YMCA Calgary. Students keep active and gain independence, as members can visit any YMCA locations on their own, without a parent/guardian. Grade 6 members can participate in both independent and programmed activities including special events, tournaments, weekly planned activities and Flames Friday events.
Share the monthly e-newsletter and updates with your new member and encourage them to sign up for events and tournaments – they are free!
What's included with the Grade 6 Program?
- A free YMCA membership for the Grade 6 school year
- Access to all YMCA locations
- Flames Friday activities, sport night and weekly science, art, game nights programming. (See the monthly schedules for each YMCA location.)
- Grade 6 city-wide tournaments and special events
- All the great benefits that come from being a YMCA member, including discounts up to 25% on programs and day camps
- One free family member admission every month
- Opportunities to participate in leadership activities, surveys, focus groups and more!
Sign Up Today
Sign-up your child in the Calgary Flames Grade 6 Program by filling out and printing a registration form. For more information on how to complete your registration, scroll down to the How to Sign Up section below
Grade 6 Alumni Opportunities
Students in grades 7, 8 and 9 can continue to keep active and start building the skills needed to work and volunteer in the community. Program alumni join in active programs, all-ability sport leagues, and certification and volunteer opportunities.
How to Sign Up!
Parents/Guardians can sign-up their child by completing a registration form online, or at any YMCA Calgary location. Bring your form along with your child’s Grade 5 report card, school ID or a signed letter from a school administrator or teacher to any YMCA location.
A Member Services team member will provide your child with a membership card, details on our Grade 6 Member Orientation, how to access program and event schedules and more.
* Note: You will be asked to provide a parent/guardian email address if you wish to receive monthly Grade 6 updates and newsletters from your child’s preferred YMCA location.